Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New Quilt: "Unconnected & Incomplete Topographies #1"

I have been making a series of quilts over the past few months that I think illustrates very nicely the philosophy I try to employ when making art. "Art of Inclusion" is all about never parting with anything I create because, some day, it will find the perfect home. A lot of what I have been producing lately are free-motion stitching samples, now that I finally have a machine that is built to excel at that. The samples frequently piss me off greatly when I make them because each one is a reminder that I cannot yet follow a line accurately or create perfectly even free-motion stitches or create decent right-angle turns, and I am frequently tempted to toss my stitch samples in the trash. But that is not how I work and so, I have been putting a lot of thought into how to jazz-up my samples so they magically look good enough to include in finished quilts.

This quilt began with a sample piece that included free-motion stitching in red, plus some swirls of yarn that represent my first ever attempt to use my Bernina #43 Free-Motion Couching Foot, which I will be reviewing here on the blog when I have mastered how to use it.  I embellished the muslin with random shapes of heat transfer foil, then hacked it into three pieces and rearranged them into vertical stripes. I covered the edges of the stripes with grey ribbon that was once the hanger-loops from a friend's skirt. The rest of the quilt was basically built around that central element, with the help of fabrics and unfinished bits some of which have been hidden in my stash for years. 
Unconnected & Incomplete Topographies #1
"Unconnected & Incomplete Topographies #1"
Title: Unconnected & Incomplete Topographies #1
Materials: muslin, various cotton & synthetic fabrics, inkjet printed cotton, yarn, beads, swarovski crystals, oil paint stick, heat transfer foil, sequins, lace, embroidery floss
Dimensions: 11.5" by 14.5"
Date: 2012

Click on details below to view larger versions on Flickr. 
quilt-incomplete-topography2quilt-incomplete-topography3

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Something about the way you put this together makes me think of a shop window on a busy city street. I think maybe because the lace looks like an awning and the dark bit above the checkering at the bottom looks like a sidewalk and it makes the free-motion bit look like a shop window. And so then the bits on the sides look like street vendors. Anyway. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention shop windows because this quilt actually started with a photo I took of a shop window on Broadway!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting on The Art of Inclusion!