Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"Meet the Supplies" #4: Shrinky Dinks

When I first started planning my "Meet the Supplies" series, I was particularly excited to do a post about my collection of Shrinky Dinks.  Yes, they still make Shrinky Dinks!  And they are even cooler than I remember from when I was a kid! You can buy bulk packages of blank sheets, and at 50 sheets for 22 bucks, it's a fairly cheap art material especially since you can literally use every last scrap.

Okay, enough shameless shilling!  Once I was reintroduced to them, I found that Shrinky Dinks are a perfect mixed media quilting element for one important reason.  Oh, they're fantastic on a number of levels, but the thing that makes them IDEAL for attaching to quilts is that you can use a 1/8" hole punch to create holes which will shrink during the curing process to be just the right size for stitching the piece to a quilt by hand.  I imagine you could also use your machine to attach them using the same stitch you'd use to attach a button.

Sadly, I have actually been prevented from making new shrunken artwork for the past two years by the fact that the oven in my new apartment does not have a window in its door.  It's been super annoying, but fortunately I was able to make a whole lot of tiny beautiful objects before moving.  Here they all are!

shrinky dinks04
Leaves traced from a book called "Kbach: A Study of Khmer Ornament," which I got for free and which has proven to be a wonderful visual resource when I'm trying to come up with patterns
shrinky dinks01
I keep them in this box, which as room for SO MANY more!  Time to get a toaster oven just so I can shrink more art?
shrinky dinks02
Teeny tiny stars.  These things are about 1/4" across
quilt-inclusion-stars-scales2
Here are a few of the stars that have already made it into a quilt.

shrinky dinks08
Shield designs in various shades of blue and purple
shrinky dinks03
More leaves traced from the Khmer Ornament book.  These were outlined in silver, which didn't look quite as nice once it shrunk - turns out silver pen can lose its sheen in the oven.
shrinky dinks05
Star buttons
shrinky dinks06
Little petals or leaves - I haven't figured out yet what to use these for.
shrinky dinks07
Fun pastel buttons with red leafy designs in red Sharpie
shrinky dinks09
This is an example of the cool effects you can get when you use a pair of decorative scissors to cut out your Shrinky Dinks before shrinking them.
shrinky dinks10
Bold buttons in red and yellow

quilt-oasis-treasure-web2
Some striped Shrinky Dink buttons in a quilt, arranged to form six-pointed stars

quilt-art-of-inclusion001.4
Two of the Khmer leaf designs ended up in my SAQA donation quilt.


And, the best thing in my collection, MONSTERS!  I spent an enjoyable several evenings while visiting my parents drawing all kinds of little monsters.

shrinky dinks11
So Many Monsters!
shrinky dinks12
MORE Monsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on The Art of Inclusion!